Bhutan is situated in South Asia, located at the eastern end of the Himalaya Mountains and is bordered to the south, east and west by the Republic of India and to the north by China. Bhutan is separated from the state of Nepal to the west by the Indian state of Sikkim. The Bhutanese call their country Druk Yul (Dzongkha) which means "Land of the Thunder Dragon". Bhutan's capital is Thimpu.
Bhutan is the 143rd country in the world in terms of size with a land mass of 38,394 sq kms. It is an extremely cold country surrounded by the Himalayan ranges in the north and the west, while the south ranges taper down and provide the deciduous forest cover for the country. Most peaks in the north are over 23,000 feet (7,000 m) above sea level; the highest point is claimed to be the Kula Kangri, at 24,780 feet The Torsa, Raidak, Sankosh, and Manas are the main rivers of Bhutan, flowing through this region.
The climate in Bhutan varies with altitude, from subtropical in the south to temperate in the highlands and polar-type climate, with year-round snow, in the north. Bhutan experiences five distinct seasons: summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and spring. Western Bhutan has the heavier monsoon rains; southern Bhutan has hot humid summers and cool winters; central and eastern Bhutan is temperate and drier than the west with warm summers and cool winters
Populations and peoples
The population of Bhutan is estimated at 0.5 million. Life expectancy at birth (years) is 65.7. While life expectancy at birth for males is 64.0%, for females it is 67.6%.
Buddhism is the prevalent religion with Lamaistic Buddhism practiced by 75% of the population. The Indian/Nepalese version of Hinduism is practiced by the remaining 25% of the population.
Bhutan has varied groups of ethnicities ranging from Bhotes to ethnic Nepalese and other indigenous groups and tribes. Dzongkha is the official language of Bhutan.
The overall adult literacy rate (% aged 15 and above) is 52.8%. However the male female literacy is skewed with male literacy at 65.0% while female literacy is 38.7%. The combined enrollment ratio in education (%) is 54.1% for 2007.
Bhutan economy measured in GDP US $ billion in 2007 is estimated at US $ 1.1 billion. In PPP terms it is estimated at US $ 3.2 billion. The per capita income of Bhutan in PPP us $ is 4837
The Ngultrum is the currency of Bhutan and its value is pegged to the Indian rupee. The rupee is also accepted as legal tender in the country.
Bhutan's economy is based on agriculture, forestry, tourism and the sale of hydroelectric power to India.